Computer and Information Safety
Unscrupulous people sometimes use social engineering techniques to exploit established trust relationships in an attempt to compromise computer security at the UNM HSC. They do so by using familiar logos and informal business practices to create the impression of trust. Here are some tips to avoid being a victim:
- Do not respond to official-looking email messages that ask you to update passwords or download infected software from a website; many of them are actually hoaxes.
- Be careful about which emails you respond to; viruses and social engineers can send email using a friend’s or coworker's account, effectively impersonating them.
- Delete suspicious email from unknown senders. When in doubt, consider whether the message has a legitimate business use. Do not open an attachment unless you are comfortable with the content of the rest of the message.
- Help Desk staff will not ask for your password, and you should report any attempts to obtain it.
- From time to time, people may raise a false alarm about a possible computer virus, and that's OK.
- Trust your instincts and use your best judgment. When you call to report an incident, provide as much detail as possible. The security group is always available to assist you.
- To report a security Incident, contact the UNMH Help Desk at 272-DATA; the HSLIC Service Point at 272-2311; or the HSC Information Security Officer at 272-1696.
We always suggest that you first:
- Talk to your supervisor:
This is usually the best and quickest way to get an answer to a question or address a concern.
You may also:
- Call an IT support person or put in a self-service ticket at: HSLIC Support, Monday–Friday, 8 a.m.–5 p.m. at 272-1694; UNMH Support, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, at 272-DATA. Visit Help.HSC Self-Service.
- Visit or send an email to the HSC Information Security Office:
BioMedical Research Facility (BRF), Room B34; HSC-ISO@salud.unm.edu
- Call the HSC Compliance Hotline at 1-888-899-6092:
Call the Hotline to ask a question or make a report anonymously, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.