Team-Based ApproachRely on a multidisciplinary UNM Health team with wide-ranging experience to serve as your partner in caring for your child’s physical, developmental and psychological needs. In addition to a primary care provider and physician specialists, your child’s caregivers may include:
• Behavioral health care experts provide tools and strategies for coping with a child’s condition, maintaining healthy relationships and enjoying better quality of life.
• Child Life specialists help your child feel comfortable with medical care and live the most normal life possible during treatment.
• Nutritionists guide you on choosing and preparing flavorful, nutritious, easy-to-eat foods for your child.
• Pharmacists educate your family on medication management and help prevent drug interactions or allergic reactions.
• Specialized nurses provide everyday medical services and have thorough training and/or certification in caring for your child.
• Rehabilitation specialists teach your child skills needed to function well after an injury or illness.
• Social workers and case managers connect your family to community resources, including financial assistance and support groups.
Whenever possible, we’ll help you make appointments with multiple providers on the same day for your family’s convenience.
Caring for All of New Mexico’s Children
Trust UNM Health providers to respect your family’s cultural, ethnic, religious and socioeconomic background. Expect interpreter services when you need them, and count on our doctors and therapists to deliver personalized care for special-needs babies, children and teens.
Specialized Newborn Care
When your newborn requires hospitalization, UNM Hospital's medical teams take a family-centered approach to care. Our neonatology team works 24/7 to provide compassionate, evidence-based neonatal intensive care for critically ill newborns from all over New Mexico, as well as in neighboring states. If you're pregnant with a baby who'll need special medical attention, you'll get premier prenatal consultation and support, and gain access to our excellent follow-up program in our Special Baby Clinic.