Medical Care That Reaches OutOur Child Ready Virtual Pediatric Emergency Department offers remote telehealth access to many community emergency departments. Check with your local emergency department to find out if they participate in the UNM Health Center for Telehealth and Telemedicine network. We can partner with your local providers to care for your child.
Does My Child Need Emergency Care?Call 911 or visit a hospital emergency department right away if your child experiences symptoms or conditions such as:
• Burns or smoke inhalation
• Deep cuts
• Head injuries that lead to confusion, a bad headache or vomiting
• Near drowning
• Neck stiffness with fever
• Persistent pain
• Trouble breathing
• Unusual sleepiness or unresponsiveness
Consider choosing pediatric urgent care for care of minor injuries and illness.
Designed for Pediatric Patients
Your children gain access to care 24/7 in a welcoming, family-friendly area reserved just for them – next to but separate from UNMH’s adult emergency department. The pediatric emergency team:
• Performs common procedures in a way that helps children feel at ease.
• Is experienced in diagnosing and treating conditions common in young patients.
• Helps provide timely, specialized services such as pediatric surgery and pediatric intensive care when necessary.