Make an Appointment
To request an appointment with a pediatric infectious disease specialist at UNM Health System, call 272-0331. Ask your pediatrician for a referral before you call.
Children’s Infections We TreatYour child’s primary care provider may refer you to an infectious disease specialist who can diagnose and treat acute or chronic illnesses, including:
• Encephalitis – Brain inflammation
• Hepatitis – Blood infection and/or liver inflammation
• Human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) – Weakens the body’s immune system
• Meningitis – Inflammation of the brain and spinal cord
• Mononucleosis (mono) – Viral infection causing swollen lymph glands, sore throat and fever
• Osteomyelitis – Bone inflammation, often caused by infection
• Pleural pulmonary infections – Fluid and inflammation of the lungs and lung lining
• Pneumonia – Infection that inflames the air sacs of the lung
• Recurring fevers
• Septic arthritis – Joint infection
• Tuberculosis – Potentially serious bacterial infection of the lungs
How Your Child Benefits
Your child’s care through UNM Health System may include long-term antibiotic IV therapy. When appropriate, you’ll get up-to-date information about vaccines, preventive strategies and managing chronic conditions.