Conditions We TreatChildren benefit from a renowned team of orthopedic specialists who can provide conservative or surgical treatment for a wide range of conditions affecting bones, joints and muscles, including:
- Cerebral palsy
- Fractures and ligament injuries
- Hip disorders
- Limb-length discrepancies
- Musculoskeletal infections and tumors
- Osteopenia (loss of bone density)
- Spina bifida
- Spinal abnormalities
- Sports injuries
The care team also may recommend rehabilitation services to help your child experience the fullest possible recovery.
DEXA (Bone Density) ScanIf your child's doctor recommends a DEXA (bone density) scan, you'll appreciate the child-friendly environment and pediatric technicians at the UNM Carrie Tingley Bone Health Center. When appropriate, take advantage of the lateral distal femur DEXA test, which scans the thighbone quickly and comfortably.
No matter what area of the body the test evaluates, trust us to make a diagnosis based on pediatric, not adult, standards of bone density.
Your child may benefit from a DEXA scan if he or she:
- Experiences more than two fractures.
- Takes steroid medications or medications for seizures or acid reflux.
- Receives chemotherapy.
- Shows symptoms of anorexia.
- Has limited mobility.
- Is diagnosed with kidney failure or a rheumatological condition.
If you live outside the Albuquerque area, find orthopedic care from UNM Health providers closer to your home at an outreach clinic in one of these cities:
- Las Cruces
- Santa Fe
- Silver City
To schedule an outreach clinic appointment, call 1-800-472-3235. Ask your pediatrician for a referral before you call.