From young adulthood to menopause and beyond, find compassionate, comprehensive gynecological care through UNM Health System. You’ll work with providers who respect your values, background and preferences and help you stay well throughout life’s changes.
Conditions We Treat
Count on our board-certified gynecologists and certified nurse midwives to provide expert care for conditions such as:
- Benign (noncancerous) breast lumps.
- Cervical dysplasia – abnormal changes in the cervix.
- Endometriosis – tissue that grows outside your uterus instead of inside it.
- Menstrual disorders – bleeding that’s irregular, excessive, absent or very painful.
- Ovarian cysts – fluid-filled sacs on the ovaries.
- Pelvic pain.
- Polycystic ovary syndrome – hormonal problems that can cause irregular menstruation, extra hair growth, acne and obesity. Uterine fibroids – noncancerous growths that cause pain or heavy bleeding.
- Vaginal and vulvar problems.
Comprehensive Gynecology Services
Whether you need a routine exam or treatment for a medical condition, you’ll get expert care at UNM Health System.
Prevention & Exams
Ask your gynecologist which of these services you may need to protect your well-being:
- Bone density test – helps detect osteoporosis and predict your risk of fractures.
- Breast exams, including mammograms – checks for lumps and physical changes.
- Colposcopy – examines your cervix, vagina and vulva.
- HPV vaccine – reduces the risk of cervical cancer.
- Pap test – screens for cervical cancer.
- Sexually transmitted disease screenings – checks for signs of infection.
Chronic Pelvic Pain Clinic
If you feel lasting pain in your lower abdomen or pelvis, you may benefit from UNM Health System’s Chronic Pelvic Pain Clinic. Through specialized physical therapy and mental health care, you’ll learn how to manage symptoms and improve your quality of life. You’ll also want to take advantage of the UNM Center for Life, which provides complementary medicine services that support your overall well-being.
Through UNM Health System, you gain access to the full range of gynecological surgeries, including:
- Endometrial ablation – eliminates the uterine lining to treat excessive menstrual bleeding.
- Hysterectomy – removes the uterus to relieve pain, bleeding, prolapse (slippage) or other conditions.
- Loop electrosurgical excision procedure – removes abnormal cervical tissue to help prevent cancer.
- Myomectomy – eliminates uterine fibroids.
- Ovarian cyst removal – treats pain and menstrual irregularities caused by fluid-filled sacs on the ovaries.
- Polypectomy – removes polyps, or abnormal growths, from the uterus.
- Tubal ligation – seals your fallopian tubes to prevent pregnancy.
When possible, a surgeon will perform your procedure with a minimally invasive technique that reduces pain and recovery time. Your doctor also may use robotic technology that can move surgical tools more precisely, steadily and fully than human hands.
As estrogen levels drop during menopause, you may experience hot flashes, heart palpitations and other symptoms. Ask the gynecological team at UNM Health System about hormone replacement therapy and other treatments that could help, and learn about lifestyle changes that may ease your symptoms.