BRaIN Imaging Center
EPR Core |
MRI Core |
Optical / Electrophysiology Core |
Surgical Core |
EPR Core houses:
- a Bruker EleXsys E500 EPR spectrometer (9.5 GHz) equipped with a standard TE102
resonator, and variable temperature control system useful for measurement of small samples, such as chemical solution,
tissue homogenate, tissue slice, and cultured cells;
- a Bruker EleXsys E-540 EPR spectrometer equipped with a L-band bridge (1.0 GHz, low frequency) useful for in vivo
imaging of free radical formations in the small animal models such as rat.
Three resonators are available, depending on the nature of the study:
- imaging resonator for mouse or rat brain
- a 34 mm internal diameter birdcage resonator for in vivo studies with small animals such as mice and rats
- an external loop resonator for localized measurement on the specific site of an animal.
Fees - $80 with staff scientist, $30 for anyone trained and not needing help
EPR Core Director:
Jim Liu, PhD
John Weaver, PhD
Research Asst Professor
College of Pharmacy
MRI core has a 4.7T 40 cm bore MR scanner for both structural and functional MRI in animal models, capable of
T1, T2, T2* (BOLD), Perfusion Weighted Imaging (PWI), Diffusion Weighted Imaging (DWI), Diffusion Tensor Imaging (DTI).
Fees - $150 per hour for UNM research and $300 per hour for
MRI Core Director:
Laurel Sillerud, PhD
Res. Assist. Prof. Biochemistry & Molecular Biology
Optical / Electrophysiology Core
This Core has:
- a photodiode array for measuring transmembrane potential changes with voltage-sensitive dyes
- two differential interference contrast (DIC) infrared systems for single cell whole-cell patch
and sharp-tip intracellular recording studies
- two-photon laser scanning microscope-electrophysiology station.
Fees - two photon $70 with staff scientist, $40 for anyone trained and
not needing help
$70 with staff scientist, $15 for anyone trained and not needing help
John Connor, PhD
Research Professor of Neurosciences
Contact - Denis Bragin, PhD
Research Asst Professor: SOM Neurosurgery
Cellular / Molecular Core
The C/M core for cell culture work, histology and fluorescent microscopy of fixed samples is equipped with a
cryostat, a fluorescent microscopy room for histology, a tissue culture room and basic instruments for cellular and
C/M Core Director:
Ranjana Poddar, PhD
Res. Assist. Prof. Neurology
Animal Surgical Core
- Surgical core has three operating rooms for acute and survival surgery of small and large animals.
- They are fully equipped. An autoclave is available for sterilizing instruments.
There are two stereotaxic stations with microscopes for microscopic surgery. A Doppler is available for
measuring blood flow.
- Both acute and longitudinal studies are possible.