Hospitals and facilities
The Department of Internal Medicine offers services and/or teaching programs in many New Mexico facilities. Among them:
UNMH recently has been cited as one of the top performing hospitals in the United States and ranked among the top ten academic medical centers in the nation for primary care.
- 618 bed tertiary care facility
- Principal provider of primary care for most of its patients
- Most inpatients are admitted from the emergency room, urgent care clinic, or other clinics
- Broad referral area including eastern Arizona, southern Colorado, and west Texas
- Diverse patient population
- 24 hour translator services
- Emergency Room treats approximately 80,000 patients a year
- Urgent care clinic sees approximately 20,000 patients a year
- Only Level 1 Trauma Center in the state
- Named in the nation's 100 Most Wired hospitals
University Hospital recently underwent an expansion with the opening of the Barbara and Bill Richardson Pavilion which houses new intensive care units as well as the Children's Hospital. Other special care units and medical programs include:
- Cancer Research and Treatment Center
- Lifeguard Air Emergency Services
- Senior Health Center
- 24 Hour Heart Cath Lab and Cardiothoracic surgery
- Kidney transplantation
- Regional Burn Center
- Clinical Research Center
- Sleep Disorders Center
- 404-bed facility
- Only VA hospital in New Mexico
- Serves as a referral institution for VA hospitals and clinics through parts of Texas, Colorado, and Arizona
- Broad geographic patient base with approximately 50% from outside Bernalillo County
- Majority of the patients are males representing the New Mexican tri-cultural backgrounds of Anglo, Hispanic, and Native American
- Cardiology services provide invasive cardiology services for a broad referral area
- Located 55 miles north of Albuquerque in the scenic capital of New Mexico, Santa Fe
- The hospital has 260+ beds with over 250 staff physicians representing 22 medical specialties.
- Most popular electives include heme/onc, women's health, and alternative medicine.
- Housing in Santa Fe is provided free of charge.
- While in Santa Fe, take the opportunity to explore this area with its many art galleries, the Santa Fe Opera, skiing at the Santa Fe Ski Area, and great food.
- The SJRMC is located in Farmington, NM in the NW corner of the state in the Four Corners area approximately 3 hours from Albuquerque.
- It offers the opportunity to practice primary and subspecialty medicine in a rural, small town setting.
- The hospital recently underwent an expansion to 230 beds
- Electives available include cardiology, heme/onc, renal, hospitalist, endocrinology, and others.
- Housing is provided if you choose to do a rotation here.
- The Four Corners area also offers a great launch pad to many outdoor adventures such as hiking Moab in Utah, photography in Monument Valley in Arizona, and skiing in Durango and Wolf Creek in Colorado.
- General Medicine Clinic at UH: Provides care to many underserved patients, especially those with UNM care insurance (Bernalillo county residents without insurance).
- General Medicine Clinic at VA: Provides care to VA patients
- Satellite UNM Clinics: These include the Northeast Height Clinic, the 1209 Clinic and the Westside Clinic.
- Others: These include the First Choice Community Health clinic that provides care to uninsured patients. Also the Truman Clinic (HIV clinic), Geriatric clinic or the Women’s clinic can be chosen as a continuity clinic.