Message from the Dean
Welcome to the UNM College of Pharmacy
Our primary mission over our 72-year history has been educating the pharmacy leaders of tomorrow - pharmacists, educators and scientists - whose leadership, dedication and innovation are serving the public and improving health care. I feel truly honored to serve as the dean of this great College, proud of our strong history and excited about our bright future.
What makes us special?
- We are a small college in a large academic health sciences center and research university. Our students learn, practice and conduct research in interprofessional/interdisciplinary teams in state-of-the art facilities while receiving the support of a vibrant and inclusive community. With small class sizes and a student to teacher ratio of 7:1, each of our students receive individual attention and support and know that they are part of something unique and special.
- Our distinguished faculty, recognized nationally and internationally for their research and clinical practice, are dedicated to educating the most talented students.
- Our faculty conducts cutting-edge research in basic, clinical and translational science, answering important questions to improve the health of New Mexicans and people around the world. Our research enterprise has achieved – and sustained – impressive growth over the past five years. Extramural research funding at the College exceeded $9.5 million in FY17, representing an increase of nearly 180% over the College's research funding just 5 years ago. This innovative enterprise provides incredible opportunities for both pharmacy and graduate students to learn the art of scientific inquiry and discovery from some of the best scientific minds in the nation.
- We possess a proud legacy as the primary provider of pharmacy professionals to New Mexico. We are the state's only College of Pharmacy and UNM's oldest health professional school. 66% of practicing pharmacists in New Mexico are graduates of our program – many of them practicing in rural and otherwise underserved areas of the state – advancing the profession and supporting our students.
- Our role as leaders in developing new models of patient care and new roles for pharmacists. We are the birthplace of advanced practice pharmacy as well as nuclear pharmacy, and one of only a select few colleges in the nation who offer the student pharmacist the ability to work toward certification in nuclear pharmacy while earning a PharmD.
- We are leaders in the expanding role of pharmacists in new models of patient care via prescriptive authority and clinical certifications. We partner with our colleagues across the health care spectrum to provide innovative practice sites in telemedicine, HIV, transgender medicine, Hep C, Medication Therapy Management, as well as cardiology, nephrology, pulmonary, ambulatory care, neurology, pediatrics, hospice, and geriatrics.
- We make a difference – in improving health, discovering new treatments and translating best practices into our communities. We work closely with practicing pharmacists to offer our students hands-on practical experience. Our students, who volunteer across New Mexico, receive regular national recognition for their service.
I encourage you, as a future Doctor of Pharmacy or MS/PhD student, potential faculty member or just someone curious about the profession and our College, to connect with us. Explore our website, reach out and ask questions – or even drop by for a visit. We are here to share our story with you. - Donald A. Godwin, PhD