Since 2010, the UNM Health System Office of Diversity, Equity & Inclusion (DEI) has helped ensure you get the most effective and sensitive medical care possible, regardless of your race, ethnicity or group identity.
Our vision is to become a nationally recognized leader in diversity, equity and inclusion in U.S. health care – to be sought after for our innovation, creativity, significant results and expertise.
Your Rights & Responsibilities
Read about patient rights and responsibilities [PDF] to know what you should expect – and what’s expected of you – during medical care.
Through community collaboration, diversity and cultural humility training, consultation/advocacy, and data collection and analysis, we work to improve our processes and provide exceptional care to all patients. We also have a health literacy program. The goal is to make sure the health information provided to patients is accessible to everyone regardless of education, experience or skill level.
Impacting Diverse Populations
One of the goals of DEI is to identify and address health disparities in patient care at UNM Health System. "The Office of DEI will ensure that we reduce any identified health disparities, and improve the care we provide for an increasing diverse patient population," said Steve McKernan, CEO UNM Hospital. "UNM Hospitals is proud to have an Office of DEI and we completely support sustained efforts at ensuring equity in the delivery of healthcare."
Compliance & Resources
Learn more about the national requirements and recommendations for diversity, equity and inclusion, which shape our approach to care.
- Equitable Care - 2015 Core Measures [PDF]
- DEI Initial Indicators [PDF]
- What does Bernalillo County look at to find health disparities?
- CLAS Standards [PDF]
- The Joint Commission New and Revised Requirements on Patient-Provider Communication [PDF]
- The Joint Commission: Advancing Effective Communication, Cultural Competence, and Patient- and Family-Centered Care
- The Joint Commission: One Size Does Not Fit All [PDF]
- National Quality Forum (NQF): Preferred Practices for Measuring and Reporting Cultural Competency [PDF]
- HHS Action Plan to Reduce Racial and Ethnic Disparities [PDF]
- MGH Disparities Solutions Center
- Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality