As a critical resource for New Mexico’s children, UNM Health provides high-quality medical care and social work services for survivors of child abuse and neglect through two programs:
- Child Abuse Response Team (CART) – Physical abuse and/or neglect
- Para Los Niños (PLN) – Sexual abuse
As a health care provider, social service professional or law enforcement representative, you may refer a child to us for care.
UNM Health’s Expert Team
UNM Health’s goal is to help affected children feel safe while they receive compassionate care from a multidisciplinary team of specialists, who may include:
- Child abuse pediatricians
- Social workers
- Behavioral health care providers
- Pediatric surgeons
Child Abuse Response Team
CART medically evaluates children when they’re referred to us or come to the hospital or emergency department for care following possible physical abuse or neglect.
- Physical exam and review of medical history.
- Laboratory and radiology tests.
- Forensic photography, including bite mark analysis.
- Care coordination with social services and law enforcement.
- Expert witness services in legal proceedings involving child abuse and neglect.
During business hours (8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday) call 505-380-2509. After hours and weekends call 505-925-4495.
To reach an attending physician during business hours use the physician access line at 505-272-2000.
Para Los Niños
PLN provides comprehensive evaluation, treatment and follow-up care for children and adolescents who have experienced sexual abuse or assault.
- Sexual assault evidence kits and photo documentation.
- Medical services for adults with developmental disabilities.
- Crisis counseling.
- Coordination with child abuse pediatrician for care of sexually transmitted diseases or genital concerns.
- Second opinions on difficult or controversial cases.
- Expert medical reviews of cases of sexual abuse.
During business hours (8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday) call 505-272-6849.
For a response to an emergency during business hours, contact the on-call physician listed on Amion physician scheduling, or call the physician access line at 505-272-2000.
After hours and on weekends, call 505-884-SANE (884-7263) for pediatric triage, emergency sexual abuse evaluations and rape kits.
UNM Health works to prevent child abuse, neglect, sexual abuse and assault throughout New Mexico by increasing community awareness. CART and PLN experts train and educate health care providers, students, social services, law enforcement, state agencies, legal experts and other professionals about child maltreatment, child sexual abuse and adolescent sexual assault.
To report child abuse or neglect, call the child abuse hotline at #SAFE or 855-333-7233.