If you’re a provider in the UNM Health system, refer your patients to one of these programs at University of New Mexico Hospitals, when appropriate:
- Diabetes Self-Management (Referrals must come from a UNM Health primary care or treating provider).
- Medical Nutrition Therapy (Referrals are limited to patients with a UNM Health primary care provider).
- Health Education (Referrals are limited to patients with a UNM Health primary care provider).
Placing a Referral
To make a referral:
- Open the patient's record in PowerChart.
- Go to Ad Hoc.
- Choose the appropriate referral:
- Diabetes Self-Management
- Medical Nutrition Therapy
- Health Education
- Complete form.
- Click the box to sign the referral.
Insulin Pump Therapy (Diabetes Education)
If your patient is interested in or uses insulin pump therapy, he or she will need to see an endocrinologist prior to being seen by a certified diabetes educator. The endocrinologist will need to make a referral to Diabetes Self-Management training and insulin pump training.
- First Choice Community Health (FCCH) and Indian Health Service Clinics can request faxable forms by calling 505-272-2340.
- FCCH Referral Form [PDF]