The University of New Mexico offers exceptional specialty care to the people of New Mexico. Through UNM ACCESS Telemedicine, emergency departments in hospitals statewide can offer their patients that same level of care, through real-time, virtual consultations with UNM’s neurologists and neurosurgeons.
Leading Neurosurgery and Neurology Expertise
We help people across the state during neurological emergencies, providing accurate diagnoses, skilled care and effective treatments. Our neurologists and neurosurgeons have earned recognition as neuro-emergent care experts:
- Level 1 trauma center: UNM Hospital is the state’s only Level 1 trauma center. We offer the highest level of surgical care for brain trauma. As a regional referral center, we have the ability to treat every level of injury.
- Primary Stroke Center certification: UNM is New Mexico’s only hospital holding Advanced Primary Stroke Center certification from the Joint Commission. The certification demonstrates that we meet specific guidelines for stroke testing, neurosurgery and patient outcomes. Read more about our stroke care.
- Get with the Guidelines® Stroke Gold Plus Quality Achievement Award: This American Heart Association/American Stroke Association award recognizes hospitals that consistently and safely provide the right stroke treatment at the right time. We have reached the highest level, with results achieved for 24 months or more.
- Cavernous Angioma Center of Excellence: We specialize in treating cavernomas, clusters of abnormal blood vessels that disproportionately affect New Mexicans of Hispanic descent. The Angioma Alliance has named UNM as one of only two Cavernous Angioma Centers of Excellencein the U.S.
- Comprehensive Epilepsy Center: Hospitals with this recognition from the National Association of Epilepsy Centers provide a thorough approach to testing, diagnosing and treating epilepsy. Like UNM, they offer a broad team of experts that includes neurosurgeons, neuropsychologists and epileptologists. Learn more about the UNM Comprehensive Epilepsy Center.
Building Neurology Capacity Statewide
ACCESS Telemedicine helps providers in remote hospitals get answers from expert neurologists and neurosurgeons 24 hours a day, seven days a week. In our first three years, we served more than 4,000 patients through our hospital partners.
We consult on the full range of neurology and neurosurgery issues, while most programs address only stroke or stroke rule-out. Read about some of the neurological conditions we treat.
In addition to initial, remote consultation, ACCESS Telemedicine builds capacity for neurology specialty care across the state by:
- Providing follow-up consultations: Every case includes one follow-up within 24 hours. Get more information about how ACCESS Telemedicine works.
- Offering continuing medical education: On-site and remote education builds provider skills and confidence in handling neuro-emergent care. Learn more about our education and training.