Pediatric Emergency Department
When your child experiences a medical emergency, they will get specialized pediatric emergency care at University of New Mexico Hospital.
When you most need timely, top-quality care, you’ll find it in the emergency departments at University of New Mexico Hospital (UNMH) and UNM Sandoval Regional Medical Center (SRMC). Count on us any time of day or night to handle the full spectrum of medical emergencies.
Do I Need Emergency Care?
Seek emergency care if you or someone else experiences injuries or conditions that threaten a life, organ or limb:
- Broken bones
- Burns (moderate to severe)
- Chest pain
- Confusion, unusual behavior or trouble speaking
- Difficulty breathing
- Heat exhaustion
- Hypothermia (very low body temperature)
- Loss of consciousness
- Severe allergic reaction
- Suicidal thoughts
- Traumatic injuries
- Uncontrollable bleeding
- Unexplained seizures or convulsions
For care of minor injuries and conditions, choose urgent care – a faster, more affordable alternative to the emergency department.
Advanced Stroke & Heart Care
Take comfort in knowing you’ll be in expert hands at UNMH if you experience stroke symptoms or a cardiovascular emergency. You can trust us to provide the right treatment at the right time because the hospital earned these recognitions from the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association:
- Get With the Guidelines® – Heart Failure
- Get With the Guidelines® – Stroke
- Target: Heart FailureSM Honor Roll
- Target: StrokeSM Elite Honor Roll
Also, CareChex rated UNMH in the top 10% of New Mexico providers in 2016 for providing high-quality heart failure treatment that leads to better-than-average outcomes.
If your illness or injury is life-threatening, you may get care in UNMH’s emergency department resuscitation unit, where an expert team will quickly treat you using practices and technology that the latest evidence shows work best. You’ll benefit from nurses and board-certified physicians with expertise in specialized services typically available only in an intensive care unit. In New Mexico, you’ll find this level of emergency-department care only with us.
Emergency Medicine Team
Expect well-rounded care from an interdisciplinary team of medical professionals, such as:
- Board-certified emergency medicine physicians who oversee your care.
- Trauma surgeons who treat severe injuries.
- Nurses certified in emergency nursing, advanced cardiac life support, adult and pediatric life support, and/or trauma nursing.
- Pharmacists who help determine the right medications and doses for you.
- Social workers and case managers who counsel and educate your family and connect you to community resources and support.
Excellent Equipment & Technology
During a medical emergency, you may benefit from:
- Sophisticated imaging and lab technology that helps you quickly get an accurate diagnosis.
- A noninvasive tool used at UNM SRMC to manage your body temperature and protect brain function after a stroke, cardiac arrest or brain trauma.
- Ventilators and other devices to help you breathe.
- Equipment designed to accommodate overweight patients