Find sophisticated surgical care at UNM Health for conditions affecting your brain. You'll benefit from the expertise and skill of neurosurgeons with advanced subspecialty training and experience.
Cerebrovascular Surgical Procedures
For timely treatments that restore blood flow and oxygen to your brain, trust the only neurosurgery team in New Mexico that routinely manages cases of complex cerebrovascular disease. Rely on us to treat aneurysms and arteriovenous abnormalities with an advanced procedure such as:
- Arteriovenous fistula occlusion, which blocks an abnormal connection between an artery and a vein to improve your blood flow.
- Arteriovenous malformation (AVM) microsurgical resection, which cuts off the blood supply to a tangle of abnormal blood vessels and removes them.
- Cavernous malformation (cavernoma) microsurgery, which removes clusters of abnormal blood vessels in the brain.
- Cerebral aneurysm repair, including microsurgical and endovascular repair, to correct a weak area in a blood vessel in the brain.
- Endarterectomy and endovascular stenting
- Endovascular embolization, which seals off a blood vessel using tiny tools inserted through a thin, flexible tube called a catheter.
- Stereotactic radiosurgery to eliminate AVMs or tumors with focused beams of high-dose radiation.
Surgery for Brain Tumors
If you're diagnosed with a brain tumor – whether benign (non-cancerous) or malignant (cancerous) – UNM Health neurosurgeons will carefully remove as much of the unusual growth as possible while avoiding surrounding tissue. Your surgical team uses advanced technology, like brain mapping, to visualize and locate your tumor before and during surgery.
Learn more about surgery for brain tumors.
Emergency Surgery for Traumatic Brain Injury
When a sudden fall, blow to the head or penetrating skull injury affects your brain, you need immediate medical care. At University of New Mexico Hospital – home to the state's only Level I Trauma Center – you'll gain prompt access to neurosurgeons with the training and experience to stabilize your condition and help prevent further injury.
Surgery for Epilepsy
Explore the advanced surgical treatments available through the UNM Comprehensive Epilepsy Center, New Mexico's only facility offering full-service epilepsy care.