When you experience chronic pain, the right care can improve your mood, relationships and overall quality of life. Turn to UNM Pain Consultation and Treatment Center (PCTC) in Albuquerque – the only interdisciplinary pain clinic of its kind in New Mexico – for the widest range of pain management techniques you’ll find in the Southwest.
Pain Relief for Many Conditions
Count on us to care for almost any condition associated with persistent pain, including:
- Arthritis – Joint inflammation
- Back and neck pain
- Complex regional pain syndrome – Burning or prickly sensations, along with oversensitivity and swelling, of a limb due to nerve damage after an injury
- Fibromyalgia – Unexplained tenderness, pain and sensitivity throughout the body
- Herniated discs – Slipped cushion between bones in your spinal column
- Migraines – Intense headaches that can be treated with BOTOX® injections
- Myofascial pain – Sore, achy muscles or soft tissues
- Neuropathy – Nerve damage that can occur after diabetes or other medical conditions
- Sacroiliac joint dysfunction – Pelvic joint problems that cause pain in the buttocks, groin, legs or lower back
- Sciatica – Pain that radiates from your lower back through your leg or foot
- Spasticity – Muscle tightness or stiffness that may result from a neurological condition and interfere with moving or speaking
- Spinalstenosis – Narrowed spinal canal that puts pressure on nerves
- Radiculopathy – Pain due to nerve compression or inflammation
Comprehensive Pain Treatment Clinic
After your primary care provider refers you to UNM PCTC, you’ll meet with one of our pain specialists to review your symptoms, medical history and test results. At this interdisciplinary pain clinic, you’ll receive personalized treatment and pain relief recommendations that may include:
- Conservative approaches, such as physical therapy, biofeedback, dry needling, chiropractic services, behavioral health care and integrative medicine.
- Interventional care, such as steroid injections, nerve blocks, radiofrequency ablation, or minimally invasive surgery.
If your child feels chronic pain, then consider our pediatric pain management program, which emphasizes conservative treatments and behavioral health care.
Team Approach to Pain Management
Because chronic pain sometimes results from multiple medical conditions, you do best when working with a well-rounded, multidisciplinary team. At UNM PCTC, you may partner with compassionate experts such as:
- Physicians, including anesthesiologists, internists, family practitioners, neurologists and psychiatrists
- Physical and occupational therapists
- Psychologists and counselors
- Nurses with specialized training in caring for pain patients
- Pain consultant or pain specialist
Your pain management team works closely with your primary care provider to help you stay as healthy and active as possible.