Children's Infections We TreatYour child's primary care provider may refer you to an infectious disease specialist who can diagnose and treat acute or chronic illnesses, including:
- Encephalitis – Brain inflammation
- Hepatitis – Blood infection and/or liver inflammation
- Human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) – Weakens the body's immune system
- Meningitis – Inflammation of the brain and spinal cord
- Mononucleosis (mono) – Viral infection causing swollen lymph glands, sore throat and fever
- Osteomyelitis – Bone inflammation, often caused by infection
- Pleural pulmonary infections – Fluid and inflammation of the lungs and lung lining
- Pneumonia – Infection that inflames the air sacs of the lung
- Recurring fevers
- Septic arthritis – Joint infection
- Tuberculosis – Potentially serious bacterial infection of the lungs
How Your Child Benefits
Your child's care through UNM Health System may include long-term antibiotic IV therapy. When appropriate, you'll get up-to-date information about vaccines, preventive strategies and managing chronic conditions.
Make an Appointment
To request an appointment with a pediatric infectious disease specialist at UNM Health System, call 505-272-0331. Ask your pediatrician for a referral before you call.