Finding treatment for your child's lung and breathing condition early can help him or her live a more active life. Turn to UNM Health System experts for comprehensive, high-quality pulmonary and respiratory care.
Lung Conditions We Treat
Get expert diagnosis and treatment for lung conditions such as:
- Asthma – Inflamed airways that make breathing difficult.
- Bronchiectasis – Bronchial tube damage allowing bacteria and mucus to build up in lungs, causing infections and blockage.
- Bronchopulmonary dysplasia (BPD) – Chronic lung disease affecting premature newborns and infants who received oxygen therapy.
- Chronic cough.
- Cystic fibrosis – Inherited disorder that affects mucus and sweat glands and damages the lungs and digestive system.
- Exercise-related shortness of breath.
- Lung problems associated with immune disorders.
- Recurrent pneumonia.
- Respiratory problems associated with neuromuscular disorders.
- Sleep apnea and other breathing-related pediatric sleep disorders.
- Ventilator and tracheostomy dependence.
UNM Health's pediatric cystic fibrosis center is the only Cystic Fibrosis Foundation-accredited center in New Mexico. That means from birth to age 18, your child with cystic fibrosis will have access to advanced, evidence-based care that helps to improve health and quality of life.
Pediatric Pulmonary Care Services
Take advantage of our services to diagnose, manage and treat lung conditions:
- Bronchoscopy visually examines your child's lungs and airways, primarily for diagnosis, but sometimes for treatment.
- Sweat testing measures the amount of salt in sweat to diagnosis cystic fibrosis.
- Pediatric sleep studies help reveal breathing problems that could cause your child's sleep disorder.
- Pulmonary function testing shows how well your child's lungs work.
- Spirometry/lung volumes
- Exercise and methacholine challenges
- Full cardiopulmonary testing
- Videolaryngoscopy for vocal cord dysfunction
Make an Appointment
To request an appointment with a pediatric pulmonologist at UNM Health System, call 505-272-5464. Ask your pediatrician for a referral before you call.
Pulmonary Care Team
You'll work with a multidisciplinary team that includes a pulmonologist (lung doctor), respiratory therapist, pharmacist, nurses, social workers and nutritionist to create a care plan for your child. Depending on your child's specific condition, we may also coordinate care with other specialists.
Asthma Outreach Clinics
In addition, to our Albuquerque locations, we offer care close to your home through clinics at one of these locations:
- Santa Fe
- Las Cruces
- Silver City
Cystic Fibrosis clinics:
- Las Cruces
For more information on our outreach clinics, call 1-877-890-4692.