When your child needs almost any surgical procedure, choose UNM Children's Hospital for excellent staff, facilities and medical care tailored to young patients. We provide:
- Operating rooms and preoperative and postoperative suites reserved exclusively for children.
- Leading board-certified pediatric surgeons.
- Nurses specially trained to tend to children.
- Child life specialists who help your child feel more comfortable and prepared for surgery.
- Pediatric hospitalists, or pediatricians who care only for hospital patients and can respond to their needs sooner than an offsite doctor.
Sedation & Anesthesia
Depending on your child's specific surgery, he or she likely will receive either conscious sedation or general anesthesia before treatment.
Before an outpatient procedure, sedation relaxes your child without inducing sleep, and an anesthetic prevents pain. Your child will receive sedation from a team of professionals experienced in easing anxiety and keeping young patients as comfortable as possible.
General anesthesia makes patients sleep during surgery. At UNM Children's Hospital, your child benefits from access to some of New Mexico's only board-certified pediatric anesthesiologists. They monitor your child's vital signs during and after surgery to help ensure he or she stays safe.
Getting Ready for Surgery
Watch the following video with your child and see what to expect during a visit to UNM Children's Hospital for surgery. You'll also want to download a guide with preoperative information in English [PDF] or Spanish [PDF].