The Department of Pharmaceutical Services is responsible for filling the prescriptions for all clinics within the UNM Health System. It fills up to 3,200 prescriptions a day, making it the largest non-mail order facilitator of prescriptions in the state.
New Mexico is one of only four states in which pharmacists with advanced training have prescriptive authority under collaborative drug management protocols. You can trust UNM Health System to quickly and accurately fill your prescriptions.
UNM Health Ambulatory Pharmacy services include:
- A Centralized Refill Service (CRS)
- Today, CRS provides refill requests, pharmacist-assisted refills, and prior authorization service to most of our clinics.
- Refill Requests are sent to providers when medication is not on the Pharmacist Clinician (Ph.C.) protocol.
- Prior authorizations are completed and submitted to insurance companies.
- Ph.C. work with providers in the Primary Care Clinics to provide pharmaceutical care to UNMH patients with diabetes, hypertension or other cardiovascular risk factors and other disease states deemed appropriate by referring provider.
- Provide and review comprehensive patient medical profile, assuring that patient care is compliant with current treatment guidelines. They obtain pertinent medical and medication histories.
- Provide appropriate drug therapeutic monitoring and counseling.
- Provide most effective and cost effective drug therapy.
- Order labs and adjust doses as needed.