Trust UNM Health System’s Pulmonary Medicine team to treat lung diseases with compassion and clinical excellence. Our team provides the best care – from services and resources to advanced new treatments.
UNM Health System medical professionals can offer you the best in health care as they keep up with the latest developments in lung and respiratory care and treatments. Using a multidisciplinary approach, your expert team will help you to feel better, whether it’s by coordinating specialty care or teaching you how to use an inhaler.
UNM Health System’s Pulmonary Adult Services treats the following lung conditions and diseases:
- Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD)
- Emphysema and chronic bronchitis
- Pulmonary fibrosis
- Pulmonary hypertension
- Occupational lung diseases
- Adult cystic fibrosis
- Other infectious lung diseases
Testing and treatment
UNM Health offers the following services and procedures to improve your respiratory health:
- Testing for asthma and COPD.
- Pulmonary Function Testing (PFT) – A group of tests that measure lung functioning, including how well the lungs take in and release air and how well gases (e.g. oxygen) are moved from the atmosphere into the body's circulation.
- Pulmonary Stress Testing – Monitors lung functioning during exercise.
- Pulmonary Diagnostic Lab – Laboratory investigation of arterial blood gas (ABG).
- Diagnostic bronchoscopy.
- Asthma medication and treatment planning.
- Smoking cessation consultations.
UNM Health System is home to three unique programs designed to help patients with lung diseases and conditions: the Adult Asthma, Pulmonary Hypertension and Cystic Fibrosis clinics. In addition, the Pulmonary Medicine Department continually works to create innovative ways to treat New Mexicans.
- The Adult Asthma Clinic
- The Interventional Pulmonary Clinics specialize in a wide array of minimally invasive diagnostic and therapeutic procedures to patients at both UNM Hospital and the UNM Comprehensive Cancer Center. These clinics provide comprehensive pleural care with an integrated team of physicians, respiratory therapists, physician assistants, nurses and social workers.
- The Pulmonary Hypertension Clinic helps patients living with a variety of illnesses that cause pulmonary hypertension. Our medical staff uses advanced treatments to help people treat the symptoms of pulmonary hypertension. The center, which holds clinical trials, is made up of a multidisciplinary staff of physicians, nurse practitioners and, social workers to optimize the outcome of their patients.
- The UNM Cystic Fibrosis Clinic is the only facility in the state that’s accredited by the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation. That means the clinic has been nationally recognized for providing specialized care that leads to improved length and quality of life for people living with cystic fibrosis. The center, which holds clinical trials, is made up of a multidisciplinary staff of nutritionists, social workers, diabetes specialists and other experts who work with patients to manage their symptoms.
Other clinics include:
- The UNM Occupational Lung Clinic focuses on the prevention, diagnosis and management of occupational lung diseases that are common in the Southwest. Occupational lung diseases are a group of acute or chronic respiratory illnesses that are caused by either repeated, extended exposure or a single, severe exposure to irritating or toxic substances at the workplace, often long after the exposure has stopped.
- Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD)clinic
- General pulmonary
- Interstitial lung disease
- Mycobacterial disease clinic