From preventive breast exams to sophisticated surgical care, UNM Health System gives you access to all the breast health services you need in the Albuquerque and Rio Rancho area. Trust us to diagnose and treat a wide range of benign (noncancerous) and cancerous breast conditions, including:
- Abnormalities that are present at birth or appear during puberty.
- Breast infections.
- Breast lumps.
- Enlarged axillary lymph nodes (glands in the armpits).
- Gynecomastia, or overgrowth of breast tissue in men.
- Breast implant problems.
- Skin lesions.
Mammograms use low-dose X-rays to help find potential breast problems, including breast cancer. Most often you’ll get this test as a preventive screening, which checks for issues before you experience symptoms. However, doctors may also use mammograms to diagnose your condition if you already have symptoms, such as a lump in the breast.
At UNM Health you can ask for 3D mammography. This test takes very detailed images from multiple angles to help improve the accuracy of results, especially in women who’ve been told they have dense breasts.
Breast Treatments & Services
Choose UNM Health System for breast care and treatments. You'll find services such as:
- Second opinions about a diagnosis of a breast disease.
- Sentinel node biopsy – Removes your first lymph node to check it for cancer.
- Lumpectomy – Removes cancerous tissue from the breast.
- Brachytherapy – Places tiny, radioactive pellets in your breast temporarily after a lumpectomy to kill any remaining cancer cells.
- Nipple- or skin-sparing mastectomy – Removes the entire breast except for the skin and sometimes the nipple and areola.
- Reconstructive surgery – Restores your appearance after a mastectomy and can take place immediately after the breast is removed.
- Genetic counseling and testing – Helps identify your odds of developing breast cancer, especially if you have a family history of cancer, so you can take steps to reduce your risk.
Breast Cancer Care & Surgery
If you need surgery, you’ll get expert treatment from our board-certified, fellowship-trained surgeon who specializes in cancer care of the breast. For more information about breast surgery, call 505-994-7364.