Mission, Vision & Values
A diverse and inclusive UNM Health Sciences fosters health and well-being throughout New Mexico by weaving cultural humility and respect for all people.
The mission of the Office for Diversity is to promote inclusivity and diversity throughout the UNM Health Sciences Center. In addition, we seek to engage communities across New Mexico to advance health equity through programs and sustainable, collaborative partnerships.
Our office coordinates the following initiatives:
- Pipeline and other programs to encourage and prepare students of color and others to succeed in careers in health sciences.
- Efforts to attract and retain faculty, staff and students of color at HSC.
- Culturally relevant research to identify challenges to and goals for increasing and supporting diversity in health professions.
- Creating curricula for cultural competence and cultural humility across the HSC.
- Working with other universities across the U.S. to increase the number of minority and women faculty in leadership roles in health professions.
The UNM Health Sciences Center’s most important value is a steadfast duty to improve the health of all New Mexicans. We will serve our patients and the public with integrity and accountability. We will strive as an institution and as individuals to recognize, cultivate and promote all forms of diversity; to fully understand the health needs of our communities; and to advance clinical, academic, and research excellence. We are committed to perform our duties with compassion and respect for our patients, learners, and colleagues; and always to conduct ourselves with the highest level of professionalism.
Learn more about how we promote our mission, vision and values by downloading our strategic initiatives [PDF].