Health Careers Academy (HCA)
Ready To Apply?
Apply online for the HCA ABQ program. Applications must be completed online and are due by March 27, 2019. No paper applications or documents will be accepted.
Download the application for the HCA Rio Rancho Campus program. Applications must be completed and mailed by April 15, 2019, to the address on the application.
If you're headed into eleventh or twelfth grade and you're interested in a future health or science related career, the Health Careers Academy (HCA) at the University of New Mexico Health Sciences Center (UNM HSC) can help you build the skills you need for academic success and help you explore potential jobs.
Summer Program for High School Students
Enhance your math, science, language and critical thinking skills before your junior or senior year in high school. The HCA is a six-week, non-residential program that's held on the UNM HSC campus in Albuquerque, NM from June through July.
Enjoy a challenging and rewarding program that includes:
- Up to six weeks of math, science and language instruction
- ACT preparation and practice exams
- CPR/First Response certification
- Presentations from health professionals
- Service learning/community-based project
- Sessions on cultural humility
- Stipend upon completion of the program
In order to successfully complete the program, you must:
- Commit to the full six-week program plus one-day orientation.
- Secure daily transportation to UNM for classes from 8 a.m.-5 p.m. You may not bring your own vehicle.
- Comply with campus policies regarding conduct, academic honesty and lawful behavior.
- Be a New Mexico resident with a valid social security number or ITIN, which will only be used for payment purposes.
- Have an interest in pursuing a health career.
- Have a 2.5 GPA or higher.
- Have parental permission.
- Be a current sophomore or junior in high school when you apply to the program.
How To Apply
The following documents must be submitted with your application
- Student application
- Personal statement
- Two completed letters of recommendation
- One unofficial copy of your transcript
- ACT or pre-ACT scores (if applicable)
As a participant in programming offered by Hope, Enrichment, And Learning Transform Health in New Mexico (HEALTH NM), you can access online and in-person student support resources, such as tutoring, laptop loans and resource libraries.