Patient Financial Assistance
Billing Customer Service
Call Patient Financial Services for information about your bill from:
- UNM Hospitals or University of New Mexico Medical Group: 505-272-2521
- UNM Sandoval Regional Medical Center: 505-994-7468
Before Your Care
When you arrive for a medical appointment, give us your insurance information and any relevant demographic information. You may need to pay coinsurance, deductibles, co-payments and/or down payments before receiving care that's not urgent.
After you receive care, your UNM Health provider will file your insurance claim to your primary and secondary insurance payers. If your insurance provider doesn't respond within 60 days, we may ask you to contact your insurance payer.
If you're a member of a managed care plan, ask your UNM Health provider's office if it participates with the plan before you schedule an appointment. You'll receive a bill for balances that insurance doesn't cover. If you can't pay your balance in full, call 505-272-2521 (UNM Hospitals) or 505-994-7157 (UNM Sandoval Regional Medical Center) to set up a payment plan.
The amount you pay at your visit may reflect estimated charges and expected insurance benefits or financial assistance. The bill you get after medical care reflects actual costs, which could differ from the estimate depending on the precise services you received.
Estimate Medical Costs
Call 505-925-0900 to get an estimate of what your out-of-pocket costs may be for services at UNM Health.
Learn how to plan financially for care you receive at UNM Health, and discover what to expect regarding insurance and bills.
Types of Bills
Expect to get separate bills for hospital and physician services. Look for:
- Inpatient hospital bill – Lists charges for services the hospital provided you.
- Outpatient bill – Lists charges for tests or procedures that took place at the time of your appointment.
- Physician bill – Lists fees charged by the University of New Mexico Medical Group, Inc. You may receive separate invoices for medical care, surgery and physician review of your diagnostic tests.
You'll receive separate bills from any emergency physician, radiologist or anesthesiologist who provided services for you at UNM Sandoval Regional Medical Center. Since the medical center doesn't handle billing for these services, call the number on your bill if you have questions.
If you believe you didn't receive services you were billed for, ask us to research the account and billing records to verify the charges.
How to Pay a Bill
Pay your UNM Hospitals bill:
- By mail – Send a personal check, traveler's check or money order to P. O. Box 848196, Dallas, TX, 75284-8196.
- By phone – Call 505-272-2521 to use your credit card or debit card.
- In person – Visit 1131 University Blvd. NE, Suite D, Albuquerque, NM 87102 (in between Carrie Tingley Hospital and UNM Hospitals Pharmacy). Office hours are from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday. We are closed all major holidays.
All UNM Hospitals provider locations accept MasterCard, VISA and bank debit cards. Look for ATMs at UNM Hospital.
Pay your UNM Sandoval Regional Medical Center bill:
- By phone – Call 505-994-7468 to use your credit card or debit card.
- In person – We are located on the first floor of the hospital at 3001 Broadmoor Blvd. NE, Rio Rancho, NM, 87144. Office hours are from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday.
Accepted Insurance Plans
UNM Health accepts most major insurance plans, including:
- AZ Achss (requires prior approval of services)
- Blue Cross Blue Shield
- Cimarron Advantage PPO
- Great West
- Health Management Network
- Indian Health Services
- Lovelace – If you are or were a University of New Mexico or UNM Medical Group employee or retiree, we are in-network. All other Lovelace programs are NOT accepted here.
- MultiPlan Network
- Optum Health NM
- USA/GEHA- PPO
- Presbyterian Health Plan (requires prior approval of services)
- San Juan IPA
- SRMC Care program
- Three Rivers Provider Network
- United Behavioral Health
- United Healthcare
- United Healthcare Community Plan (Evercare)
- United Healthcare TRICARE
- UNM Care (requires prior approval of services)
- USA/GEHA- PPO
Get Help Applying for Insurance
UNM Sandoval Regional Medical Center's and UNM Hospital's Patient Financial Service representatives can help you apply for Centennial Care (formerly New Mexico's Medicaid program) or for plans on state health insurance exchanges. To meet with a representative, call 505-994-7397 (UNM Sandoval Regional Medical Center) or 505-272-2521 (UNM Hospitals).
Order Brochures on Patient Financial Services at UNM Hospitals for patients at your health care office. (Available on-site).