Our board-certified dermatologist, Dr. Aimee Smidt, received a Top Doc award, based on votes from her peers, from Albuquerque the Magazine in 2015.
The UNM Health System Dermatology Clinic specializes in treating your complex skin conditions. Choosing UNM Health System means we’ll assist you by coordinating referrals and care with other departments. For example, your UNM Health dermatologist can arrange for an expedited referral to the UNM Comprehensive Cancer Center if you are diagnosed with aggressive skin cancer.
Our board-certified physicians and staff provide exams, evaluations and treatments for skin, hair and nail conditions such as:
- Abnormal moles or skin cancer
- Non-melanoma skin cancer
- Eczema (atopic dermatitis) and contact dermatitis
- Acne and Hidradenitis Suppuritiva
- Hair loss (alopecia)
- Nail changes
- Vascular malformations
- Sun damage
- Excessive sweating
Check with your insurance carrier to find out if you need a referral.
Our team provides safe, effective treatments such as:
- Cryotherapy (lesion destruction by freezing)
- Incision and drainage
- Laser therapy
- Medications, including oral medications and topical creams.
- Phototherapy to treat psoriasis, eczema and other conditions.
- Biopsies to determine diagnoses
- Mohs micrographic surgery (for certain types of skin cancer)
UNM Health System’s Dermatology Clinic also performs elective/cosmetic services, including:
- Botulinum toxin (Botox) and filler injections
- Chemical peels (for discoloration and aging skin)
- Scar and keloid treatment
- Elective mole and cyst removal
- Leg vein and blood vessel treatment
- Skin tag removal
- Hair removal
- Age spot treatment
- Laser resurfacing
Aesthetic/cosmetic services are generally NOT covered by insurance. We will gladly perform a consult and quote the associated fee.