The UNM Health System is the clinical arm of UNM Health Sciences Center, New Mexico’s only academic health center. Our hospitals and clinics:
- Provide care for more than 200,000 New Mexicans each year.
- Serve as training sites for students of medicine, nursing, pharmacy and other health professions.
- Play an important role in the University of New Mexico’s community-based health research.
Find out how the UNM Health System benefits your community by increasing access to medical services, improving health literacy, delivering culturally sensitive care and more.
Comprehensive Programs & Services
At the UNM Health System you’ll find the state’s only Level I trauma center, only National Cancer Institute-designated comprehensive cancer center, a comprehensive stroke and neuro-trauma service, a comprehensive burn center, a pediatric cardiothoracic surgery program, advanced women’s care, adult and children’s psychiatric services, bariatric and orthopaedic programs, and dozens of other specialty lines that we are uniquely equipped to deliver.
The health system comprises:
- University of New Mexico Hospital, the state’s only academic medical center and the primary teaching hospital for the university’s School of Medicine.
- Sandoval Regional Medical Center, which provides the personal attention of a community hospital and the expertise and resources of an academic health care facility.
- UNM Children’s Hospital and UNM Carrie Tingley Hospital, which offer the widest range of pediatric services in the state.
- UNM Comprehensive Cancer Center, where 60 percent of adults and almost every child with cancer in New Mexico get care.
- UNM Clinical Neurosciences Center, the only comprehensive neurology, neurosurgery and pain management center in the Southwest.
- UNM Psychiatric Center and UNM Children’s Psychiatric Center, which provide the full spectrum of behavioral health care.
- Dozens of outpatient care offices, including facilities strategically located in historically underserved areas.
- University of New Mexico Medical Group, Inc., a network of more than 1,100 practitioners in more than 150 specialties.
Collectively, the hospitals handle 22,000 surgical cases, 100,000 emergency room visits and nearly 900,000 outpatient visits per year.
Flexible, Adaptive Care Models
We’ve created a comprehensive patient care environment attuned to the rapid changes brought about by national health reform as the fee-for-service model gives way to a value-based care system focused on the patient experience and quality outcomes.
Changing reimbursement formulae are also driving disruptive changes in the structure of delivery systems, creating the need for health care entities to forge new partnerships with greater flexibility and growth potential.
Come what may, we will always measure our success by improvements in the health and well-being of all New Mexicans. That is our commitment to the people we serve.