What is UNM Health System?
Learn about the many care facilities and programs that UNM Health System encompasses, and explore the contributions the health system makes to education and research as the clinical branch of UNM Health Sciences Center.
In providing New Mexico’s widest range of adult and pediatric medical services, UNM Health System plays an essential role in keeping you and your family and friends well in body and mind. Your community benefits because our extensive network of providers, hospitals and specialty clinics delivers:
- Effective, culturally sensitive care to a diverse group of patients, including Native Americans and the LGBT community, with guidance from our Office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion.
- Care for veterans who have limited access to specialists or don’t live close to a VA medical center.
- Services that promote health literacy, which is the ability to find, understand and use medical information.
- Interpreter services to patients whose first language isn’t English.
- Education on preventing injuries, especially in children.
- The Youth Empowerment Program to educate high school students interested in a health care career.
Learn how our community health needs assessments help your providers ensure you get access to the type of care you need most.
Creating Jobs in New Mexico
UNM Health System employs nearly 7,000 professionals among our medical group, hospitals and outpatient care facilities. Our wages, salaries, benefits and purchases of goods and services contribute hundreds of millions of dollars annually to New Mexico’s economy. Learn details about the finances and economic impact of UNM Hospitals and UNM Sandoval Regional Medical Center.
Charitable Care & Financial Assistance
Each year, UNM Health System provides tens of millions of dollars in uncompensated medical care to patients throughout the state, including services for cancer, pediatrics, surgery and maternity care. UNM Health also offers financial assistance, including a self-pay discount program and care programs, to help patients access the services they need.
UNM Hospital provides an essential medical safety net for everyone, regardless of their ability to pay. It operates under a lease with Bernalillo County and is supported with the proceeds of an annual mill levy. UNM Sandoval Regional Medical Center is a major health care provider for Sandoval County, with a particular focus on serving Native American patients.
Trust us to help you and your neighbors achieve and maintain wellness, regardless of your economic situation.