Sponsored Projects Office (SPO)

MSC09 5220
1 University of New Mexico
Albuquerque, NM 87131-0001

Physical Location:
1650 University Blvd NE
Second Floor, Suite 2200

Phone: (505) 272-9383
Fax: (505) 272-0159

Material Transfer Agreement Q & A

Below, we answer some of the most commonly asked questions regarding Material Transfer Agreements (MTAs).  If you have a question that is not addressed below, please contact Stacy Bigbie at (505) 272-9448, or e-mail her at scatanach@salud.unm.edu.

What Is a Material Transfer Agreement (MTA)?

Material Transfer Agreements (MTA) are short contracts governing the transfer of tangible research property (most often biological materials) for research use.

Who Should I Contact About MTAs?

Complete an Incoming MTA Questionnaire or an Outgoing MTA Questionnaire (depending on your circumstance) and e-mail it to Pre Award (preferred), or mail it to MSC09 5220. For incoming materials, send the providing institution's MTA, preferably in MS Word format.

Who Signs MTAs?

For the Health Science Center, Dr. Richard Larson, M.D., Ph.D., Vice Chancellor for Research is the authorized signatory.

Why Are MTAs Important?

MTAs are important because they protect the rights of both parties. They govern issues such as:

  • Ownership of materials and ownership of any modifications or derivatives made by the recipient.
  • Limits on the use of the materials by the recipient and related liability.
  • Rights to inventions resulting from the use of the materials.
  • Rights to publish research obtained through the use of the materials.