Welcome to the UNM Hospitals Specialty Pharmacy. Our pharmacy team is dedicated to deliver the highest level of care for each one of our patients. Our pharmacists and pharmacy care coordinators are experts in many areas, including hepatitis, multiple sclerosis, osteoporosis, psoriasis, cystic fibrosis, rheumatology, and transplant. Pharmacy staff are in charge of helping you get your medicines and refills. The Specialty Pharmacy will fill your prescriptions. Then you can pick them up, have them shipped to your clinic or to your home free of charge.
What Can We Do For You at the Specialty Pharmacy:
- Our goal is to make sure you have the best pharmacy experience possible
- We work together with your specialty care providers to make sure you have the best long-term care
- We can deliver your medicine straight to your home
- You can pick up your prescription if you live in the Albuquerque area
- We can help you sign up for patient assistance programs
- We will follow up with you often
- We will teach you how to take your medicine correctly – how much and how often
- We will teach you how to give yourself shots
- We will help you prepare for and manage possible side effects and drug interactions (when one medicine affects how well another medicine is working)
- We will help you prevent missed doses
- We will explain how we check to see if your medicine is working and what the results mean
- You can call us 24 hours a day, 7 days a week (including holidays and weekends) and talk to a specially trained staff person
Get started by downloading your Welcome Packet [PDF]
What sets us apart from the rest?
Our pharmacy team has direct access to the UNM Hospitals Electronic Medical Record and can help coordinate therapy with your doctors and nurses.
How do I get started?
Your provider will send your prescription to the UNM Hospitals Specialty Pharmacy. A specialty pharmacy care coordinator will then work on getting special approval from your insurance. This special approval is called a prior authorization. Insurances usually take 48 – 72 hours to review the prior authorization. Your specialty pharmacy care coordinator works with your specialty clinic, and can talk directly to your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and other health providers. They help coordinate your care to make sure you get your medicine as soon as possible. If you have any questions, call us at 505-272-7065 or 1-833-440-1144.
Specialty Pharmacy Services Billing:
We send out a billing statement at the beginning of each month. We accept cash, check, money order, or credit card as payment. Please pay your balance within 30 days. If you have a question about your bill, please call the UNM Hospitals Specialty Pharmacy billing specialist at 505-925-6984.
Online Bill Pay
You can pay your bills online through the UNM Health System web site.
Your Feedback is important. Please take our survey.