Schedule Your Free Health Screening

If you worked at least one year or more in the uranium industry from 1942-1971, call us to find out about the medical screenings we offer. People who have cetain health problems may be able to apply for a medical card to help with related medical expenses, as well as a one-time payment. Call now—the program ends July 9, 2022.

Radiation Exposure Screening and Education Program

Uranium workers, onsite participants, and "downwinders"—people who lived or worked near radioactive material in the Southwest—are at higher risk of health problems like cancer. But help is available through the Radiation Exposure Screening and Education Program (RESEP) at the University of New Mexico (UNM) in Albuquerque.

The UNM RESEP program specializes in working with uranium workers. Downwinders and onsite participants will be referred to other RESEP programs in nearby states who specialize in medical screenings for those groups.

At UNM's RESEP Clinic, our doctors will check for cancer, lung scarring or damage caused by breathing in uranium and silica dust. For millers and ore transporters, we also check for kidney problems that may have been caused by their work exposure.

Uranium workers who worked in the following states may qualify for screening: New Mexico, Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Wyoming, North Dakota, South Dakota, Utah, Arizona and Texas. If you have certain types of health damage due to radiation exposure, you can file a claim under the Radiation Exposure Compensation Act (RECA). If your claim is accepted, you will receive a medical card to help with your related medical expenses, as well as a one-time payment.

All RECA claims must be processed before July 9, 2022. We recommend scheduling your RESEP screening as soon as possible. You may test once a year to find out if you can file a RECA claim.

RESEP will help you get the education and medical referrals you need to take care of your health—at no cost to you. Call 505-272-4672 to schedule an appointment. Interpreters are available.

Who Can Get a RESEP Health Screening

You may qualify for a RESEP screening if you:

  • Were a uranium miner or miller
  • Were a uranium miller or ore transporter
  • Lived downwind of a nuclear weapons testing site
  • Were an onsite participant at certain nuclear atmospheric test sites

For more information, read our RESEP FAQs.

You may be eligible for financial compensation
Eight RESEP offices around the Southwest 
Uranium workers from 12 states may qualify for RECA