RESEP Eligibility

Former uranium workers, individuals who lived or worked downwind of certain atmospheric nuclear testing sites, and people who worked as onsite participants may be eligible for medical screening.

You can file a claim under the Radiation Exposure Compensation Act (RECA) if you:

  • Have a radiation-exposure illness that is covered by RECA
  • Worked as a uranium miller, miner or ore transporter for at least one year during 1942-1971
  • Worked in one of these states during that time (even if you don't live there now):
    • Arizona
    • Colorado
    • Idaho
    • New Mexico
    • North Dakota
    • Oregon
    • South Dakota
    • Texas
    • Utah
    • Washington
    • Wyoming

You may also qualify for RECA if you are a “downwinder”—exposed to radioactive material while living or working downwind from atmospheric nuclear test sites. You may qualify for a medical screening if you lived or worked in one of the following counties for at least two years from January 21, 1951- October 31, 1958, or for the entire time period of June 30 – July 31, 1962:

  • Arizona—Apache, Coconino, Gila, Mohave, Navajo or Yavapai Counties
  • Nevada—Eureka, Lander, Lincoln, Nye, White Pine and a portion of Clark Counties
  • Utah—Beaver, Garfield, Iron, Kane, Millard, Piute, San Juan, Sevier, Washington or Wayne Counties

You may qualify for RECA if you worked as an onsite participant (military or civilian personnel and contractors who participated onsite in an above-ground nuclear test conducted by the United States.)

Get Answers to RESEP and RECA Questions

See our FAQ page for more information.