Robert Tully, MD
Robert H. "Bob" Tully, MD, was an important member of the Albuquerque and New Mexico pediatric community for almost four decades. He obtained his MD degree from the University of Rochester in 1948. He obtained pediatric training both at the University of Rochester in New York and at the Robert Green Memorial Hospital in San Antonio, Texas. Bob moved to Albuquerque in 1957 and joined the Lovelace Clinic, where he practiced from 1957 to 1959. Thereafter, he established his own practice of pediatrics in Albuquerque where he practiced from 1959 to 1981.
He was involved in pediatric education in New Mexico from the day he set foot here. He joined the pediatric staff of the Bernalillo County Indian Hospital in 1957. He served as chief of the section of pediatrics at BC Indian Hospital in 1959-1960 and again from 1963 to 1966. He served as a Clinical Associate in Pediatrics at The University of New Mexico School of Medicine from the time it was established in 1967 through 1978, as Clinical Professor of Pediatrics at UNM from 1979 to 1983. From 1983 until he retired in 1993, he served as Professor of Pediatrics at UNM School of Medicine.
After his retirement from private practice and appointment as Professor of Pediatrics, Bob was a faithful and outstanding teacher both for medical students and pediatric residents. He spent two to three days per week working with third year medical students in the required pediatric rotation teaching the newborn exam, with special attention to the Ballard assessment of gestational age – he exuded unmatched enthusiasm for the newborn physical exam. He spent another half day per week serving as a preceptor for a group of pediatric residents in their continuity clinic experience.
Another major contribution to pediatric education was his endowment for the establishment of the Robert H. Tully Library and Conference Room which was dedicated in 1988. He was the first recipient of the Recognition Award of the New Mexico Pediatric Society in 1995.