Apply to UPN
In order to be considered for the UPN 2018 cohort your complete application package must be received by the deadline of February 1, 2018. A complete application package includes the completed online UPN application AND the following additional documents:
- A copy of your transcripts from every college or university you've attended.
- A copy of your academic resume/CV
- Your personal statement about why you would like to be considered for the Summer Research Experience. Please ensure to address your career goals and reasons for wanting to engage in summer research.
- The name and contact information for your reference, preferably a professor or research mentor. You will provide your reference's contact information in the UPN online application and the program will contact your referee with the instructions for submitting your letter of recommendation and evaluation. It is your responsibility to ensure your referee is aware that they will be contacted by the program administrator to submit your letter of recommendation and evaluation to the UPN program before the February 15, 2017 deadline.
Undergraduate Pipeline Network 2018
- Application deadline: February 1
- Program Dates: May 30 through August 3
Email: UPN-L@unm.edu titled with your full name
1 University of New Mexico
Albuquerque, NM 87131-0001
A complete application requires the following documents are submitted to the UPN program:
- A complete online application. (PDF sample to review before completing the online version)
- This online application gives you the flexibility to complete your application all at once or to work on it a little at a time on the same computer. If you wish to work on only one portion of the application at a time, or come back and edit your answers at a later time, you may do so by clicking the "Exit this survey" link in the upper right corner of the page. You must use the same computer and have cookies enabled to access this feature. Also, this feature may not be available on some public computers.
- DO NOT click the "Done" button until you are satisfied that you have answered all the questions.
- Once you have clicked the "Done" button, your application will be submitted as is and you will not be able to make changes. Please remember to proof-read your entire application before you click the "Done" button.
- An unofficial copy of your transcriptsfrom every college or university you've attended
- Your transcripts should be printed from your school's online system with the date and website in the margins. For unofficial transcripts e-mailed to UPN-L@unm.edu, please scan your transcript to a .PDF or .JPEG file and titled with your full name. Transcripts copied and pasted into a word document will not;be accepted.
- A copy of your Academic Resume/CV
- One letter of recommendation and evaluation from a professor or advisor that can assess your ability to conduct research. Submitting your recommender's contact information is required within our online application. Upon completion of your online application, your recommender will promptly be contacted with the secure link where they can submit their letter and evaluation.
- Ideally, your references should be either a faculty member at an institution of higher learning or a recent research mentor. Additionally, they should be able to comment on your current ability to perform academically and/or on your recent research experience.
- The letter of recommendation can be returned via email if your recommender sends it through their university/college email account.
- Your reference may be contacted by us to verify information provided by you or your recommender.
What to Expect
You will receive an email confirming the completion of your application once we have received all of the following items:
- Completed Online Application
- Letter of Recommendation
- Academic Resume (Curriculum Vitae)
- Unofficial transcripts
Application Package Requirements
Is there a word or page limit for the personal statement?
The online application allows for 5000 characters, or approximately two pages of text. While the application allows for 2 pages of text, your personal statement does not need to be two pages long. Please make sure that you use the space wisely to articulate why you want to do summer research.
What is an academic resume or CV (curriculum vitae)?
- Educational background
- Internship experience
- Employment history
- Honors received
- Research work published
How do I get my letter of recommendation to you?
Once your online application is complete, your recommender will be contacted and given instructions on how to submit your letter of recommendation.
Even though the UPN program only requires one letter of recommendation, may I submit more than one?
Yes, you may submit up to 3 letters of recommendation. However, we want to caution you. Your letter of recommendation should be a strong letter from someone who can speak to your success or potential success in the research environment.
I have asked my recommender to submit a letter for my application package. How will I know whether it has been submitted?
You should tell your recommender that they will be contacted by the UPN program and given instructions on how to submit your letter. If the deadline is approaching and the letter has not been submitted, the UPN program will contact the recommender with a reminder. Once your application package is complete, you will receive an email notifying you of your application status.
What is the process for review and final selection of applicants?
All applicants are reviewed by a panel of faculty who understand the goals of the UPN program. The review committee uses a scoring rubric that evaluates all elements of the application package.
When will I know whether I am selected?
We work to have offer letters out to applicants by the beginning of April at the latest.
Can my parents contact you to find out information about the program?
Unfortunately, due to federal FERPA regulations, the UPN program cannot give any information to outside parties, not even your parents or your husband/wife. This includes confirming that you have applied to the program, confirming that you have been offered a position in the program, etc.