Department of Dermatology
Aimee Smidt, MD
In sunny New Mexico, skin care is especially crucial. The University of New Mexico School of Medicine Department of Dermatology, located in Albuquerque, provides excellent education and collaborative research as well as a comprehensive residency program. Our practitioners offer the highest quality dermatologic care that is often unattainable elsewhere in the state.
Our residents are trained to perform procedures such as:
- Lesion destructions (benign and malignant)
- Laser, teledermatology and aesthetic treatments
We provide care for patients of all ages throughout the state of New Mexico, and we aim to be the center of choice for New Mexicans with dermatologic issues, such as:
- Atopic dermatitis
- Skin cancer surveillance
- Pigmented lesions/melanoma
- Rare conditions such as autoimmune blistering disorders and genodermatoses
While we aim to fully understand the needs of our communities, we also work to make a difference by performing our duties with compassion and respect for our patients, learners and colleagues.
In the News
- Demand for Dermatologists Going Up, Number of Practicing Physicians Isn’t (KOAT-TV)
- UNM Offers Free Cancer Screenings (KRQE-TV)
- UNM Comprehensive Cancer Center offers Mohs Surgery (HSC Newsroom)
- John Durkin, MD: Confocal Microscopy and It’s Benefits. (MD Magazine)
- Shannon J. Shaw Memorial Cancer Fund 1st Cancer Screening a Success (Carlsbad Current Argus)
- High-Altitude Skin Care: Here's How to Keep Your Skin Moisturized and Healthy (HSC Newsroom)
- UNM dermatology programs re-earns accreditation (Daily Lobo)
- Dermatology department recertified at UNM (Albuquerque Journal)
Confocal Microscopy and its Benefits
Dr. John Durkin on confocal microscopy as an emerging technique that can offer a non-invasive alternative to biopsy.
Dermatology Grand Rounds-Case Session
June 21, 2019 - 8:00 AM
This Dermatology Grand Rounds will involve presentations of clinical cases.
Dermatology Grand Rounds-Guest Speaker, Dr. Haines Ely
June 28, 2019 - 8:00 AM
Please join us as we welcome Dr. Haines Ely to present on "Psoriasis and the Microbiome."