Mental Health Resources
The UNM School of Medicine's Office for Professional Wellbeing has compiled numerous on- and off-campus resources to help you and your loved ones.
For Those in Crisis
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-8255 and crisis text line at 741-741
- New Mexico Crisis and Access Line: 1-855-662-7474
- Agora Crisis Center: 505-277-3013 or 866-HELP-1-NM
- UNM Psychiatric Center: 505-272-2920
- Rape Crisis Center of Central New Mexico 24-Hour Hotline: 505-266-7711
Confidential Help for Students
- Student Health and Counseling (SHAC): 505-277-3136
- Dr. Jeff Dunn is a psychiatrist who sees medical students at no-cost. He provides short-term and long-term therapy, and can prescribe medications when needed.
- Dr. Cheri Koinis is a psychologist who sees medical students at no-cost. She provides short-term and long-term therapy. Koinis is not able to prescribe medications.
- Please see the UNM School of Medicine Psychotherapy and Counseling Guide (2019-2020) for additional resources.
- Women’s Resource Center
- Additional UNM Resources
Confidential Help for Residents and Fellows
- CARS: Counseling, Assistance and Referral Service; 505-272-6868
- Outcomes: provides counseling, education, conflict resolution and other services for residents and fellows; 505-243-2551
- Dr. Jeff Dunn is a psychiatrist who sees residents and fellows. He provides short term and long term therapy and can prescribe medications when needed. You will not be charged a co-pay for seeing Dr. Dunn, but your insurance will be billed.
- Dr. Cheri Koinis is a psychologist who sees residents and fellows at no-cost. She provides short term and long term therapy. Dr. Koinis is not able to prescribe medications.
Confidential Help for Faculty
- CARS: Counseling, Assistance and Referral Service is available to all HSC employees and faculty at 272-6868.
- Employee Assistance Program (for VA faculty)
- Psychiatry & Psychology Faculty Clinic, 2400 Tucker Ave. NE, 4th Floor (Family & Community Medicine building); 505-272-6130
- Adult Children of Alcoholics: 505-256-8300
- Al-Anon Information Service: 505-262-2177
- Alcoholics Anonymous: 505-266-1900
- Addictions & Substance Abuse Program (UNM): 505-925-2300
- Cocaine Anonymous: 505-291-3888
- National Council on Alcoholism & Drug Dependence: 505-256-8300
- Adult Survivors of Child Abuse: 505-255-3182
- Albuquerque Shelter for Victims of Domestic Violence: 505-247-4219
- Albuquerque Rape Crisis Center: 505-266-7711
- Catholic Charities: 505-724-4670
- Overeaters Anonymous: 505-292-9080
- Psychiatric Emergency Services: 505-272-2920
- UNM Women’s Resource Center: 505-277-3714