Division of Midwifery
Since 1975, certified nurse-midwives at The University of New Mexico Health Sciences Center have provided excellent pregnancy, postpartum and well-woman care to the community. Midwives honor the individuality of each woman and respect natural birth.
Certified nurse midwives attend a third of births in New Mexico. The UNM midwives maintain excellent outcomes, including:
- High success rate of vaginal birth after cesarean section
- Low C-section rate (12 percent)
- Low episiotomy rates
Learn more about midwife care at UNM Health System.
UNM midwives hold appointments as lecturers in the UNM School of Medicine, and some serve as clinical faculty in the UNM College of Nursing. We supervise and teach midwifery students, family practice residents and obstetrics/gynecology residents.
Residents appreciate the integrated certified nurse-midwife program. They also benefit from extensive, hands-on ultrasound training, which leads to eligibility for certification by the American Institute of Ultrasound Medicine.
Triple AIM Achievement: Midwifery Division
The OB-GYN Department and the HSC are so proud of our exceptional OB-GYN Departmental midwifery colleagues who are integral to our clinical care, education, research and community outreach missions. They lead the way in compassionate care and quality with their focus on the triple aim; we are grateful for their partnership and leadership.
Residents have said of the midwives:
- “They were wonderful with having us think through the differential diagnoses. I also really loved that they shared with us some of their patient-provider interaction secrets. It was refreshing to see how mindful and gentle a provider can be with their patient.”
- “It was great support and learning…. I thought they were really helpful and gave me lots of good tips I will carry through residency and beyond.”
- “Our midwives are amazing; they are so lovely, patient and walked us through the steps of obstetrics triage. They really emphasized patient care/comfort which was wonderful. I feel much more confident thanks to the help I had with our midwives!”
Since 2005, many midwives have won teaching awards for their support of medical student education.