Become a well-rounded subspecialist in the surgical anatomy, physiology and pathophysiology of the pelvic floor. Apply to The University of New Mexico Health Sciences Center urogynecology fellowship, a three-year position accredited by the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education. You’ll gain a broad range of clinical, surgical and research experience for a productive academic career.
Expect a large volume of complex pelvic reconstructive cases. UNM Health System’s large referral area includes all of New Mexico, as well as parts of Texas, Arizona and Colorado. You’ll get broad surgical training in laparoscopic, robotic, open and vaginal techniques, sometimes at our onsite simulation center.
Clinical experiences also include:
- Month-long off-service rotations in gastroenterology, urology and colorectal surgery
- Two-week elective in a Rwanda fistula camp during your second year
Patient care duties equally include ambulatory clinic care and surgery.
Take call from home on a rotating basis for the female pelvic medicine and reconstructive surgery service. There is no call for general obstetrics and gynecology.
Receive broad exposure to research, including opportunities to participate in:
- Clinical Translational Investigator Program
- Dedicated research didactics
- Ongoing faculty research
- Weekly research meetings
Design, develop and complete your own research project with faculty guidance during the fellowship. Take advantage of free biostatistical support and multiple grant opportunities.
Educational activities include:
- Case presentations and discussion each week with the Division of Female Pelvic Medicine and Reconstructive Surgery
- Didactic weekly seminars
- Journal club with residents
- Morbidity and mortality meeting each quarter
- Obstetrics and gynecology grand rounds every week
Travel to annual meetings of the American Urogynecologic Society and Society of Gynecologic Surgeons with financial support from the division. Talk to the division director about attending additional meetings.
Explore the comprehensive benefits available to fellows at UNM.