Seek Hospice Care
Ask your pediatrician about hospice care for your child or call the Mariposa Program at 505-272-6700 or 866-869-7243 (toll free).
Hospice ServicesThrough the Mariposa Program, your family gains access to:
• Home visits from medical professionals, including a nurse, home health aides, social worker and chaplain
• Physician and nursing services available 24 hours a day
• Help managing your child’s symptoms
• Medical equipment and supplies
• Medication management and pharmacy services
• Counseling to help you cope with anxiety, depression and anger
• Visits from trained hospice volunteers who provide companionship, run errands and give families a chance to rest
• Child life services
• Grief support for at least 18 months after a child’s death
Where Can We Get Hospice Care?Your family will receive care directly from the Mariposa Program team if you live within 60 miles of Albuquerque. If you live elsewhere in New Mexico, we’ll support your local hospice, primary care provider and home health agency to help ensure you receive the services you need.
How Long Does Hospice Care Last?Hospice care typically lasts up to six months, but can continue past that period if necessary. If treatments become available that could help your child live longer, you may choose to end or pause hospice care to pursue them.
Insurance CoverageMedicaid and most private insurance plans cover hospice care. The Mariposa Program strives to care for all families, including those without insurance. If you’d like to help us provide hospice care for more patients, consider making a gift.
Grief SupportAs you grieve the loss of a child, lean on the Mariposa Program team for emotional support. You can choose to receive:
• Visits and phone calls from hospice nurses, a social worker, chaplain and/or volunteers
• Bereavement counseling
• Support for your child’s siblings
• Education about the grief process and coping
• Information on grief support groups and community resources
• Cards on holidays and the child’s birthday