Apply for one of two yearlong pre-residency positions with the Department of Neurosurgery at The University of New Mexico. In this non-accredited rotation, you will fulfill the same duties as a postgraduate year one (PGY1) intern. Gain broad experience in the 24-bed neurointensive care unit at The University of New Mexico Hospital and care for admitted patients.
Benefits of Pre-Residency
Your pay, benefits, hours, days off and vacation time will equal those of PGY1 in the accredited neurosurgery residency program. The pre-residency position will:
- Help you determine if neurosurgery is your passion.
- Provide you with experience working with faculty who can write letters of recommendation for future positions.
How to Apply
Apply for the pre-residency position if you have interest in neurosciences but haven’t matched with a residency program. Send the following documents to the residency coordinator:
- Curriculum vitae
- Medical school transcripts
- Personal statement
- Three letters of recommendation from a faculty member you worked with in the last five years
- United States Medical Licensing Examination Step 1/Complex 1 scores
- Certificate from Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates, if applicable
Interviews begin at the end of April. Contract term is July 1 to June 30 but can change depending on your needs.
Each applicant must be a United States citizen or have a permanent resident card.