IR Clerkship

Course #CLNS 950M

Credit: Elective-Clinical

Duration: 4 weeks

Note:Not available Winter Break

Students per Rotation: 1

Contact: Jesse Hernandez, 505-272-2119, jjhernandez@salud.unm.edu

Faculty Evaluator: Christopher Gutjahr, MD

Prerequisites: None but Diagnostic Radiology is suggested.  Currently not available for visiting students.

Interventional Radiology (IR) is a unique branch of radiology dedicated to image guided diagnostic and therapeutic procedures. The University of New Mexico IR Division performs a full array of IR procedures, from the routine (eg, biopsies, vascular access) to the complex (eg, interventional oncology, portal hypertension management).


Clerkship students will be expected to participate in the procedures as well as the periprocedural evaluation and management of patients. Students will be expected to be present in the department during normal weekday hours (approximately 6:45 am-5:00 pm). As this is a clinical rotation, students are also expected to participate in IR call: 1 weeknight per week and 1 weekend. At the conclusion of the rotation, the student will deliver a formal case presentation.

Exposure to the broad scope of IR procedures and their place in the care of both inpatients and outpatients.


Exposure to the periprocedural evaluation and management of IR patients, including indications/contraindications for procedures, interactions with often times anxious patients and families, procedural sedation, and management of complications.
Exposure to basic radiation safety practices.

The student will be supervised primarily by IR Faculty, consisting entirely of fellowship trained Interventional Radiologists. The IR residents and rotating residents will also participate.

Amount and type: Daily

The student will be evaluated at the completion of the rotation by the IR Clerkship Director and is based on personal exposure and survey of the IR faculty and IR Resident. Grade will be based primarily on clinical performance (80%) with the remainder based on the case presentation (20%). Criteria for an outstanding grade: active participation in both patient procedures and periprocedural management, demonstration of knowledge about patients undergoing procedures, evidence of familiarity with procedural basics, and a well prepared case presentation.