Figuring out better ways to care for patients.

Support & Resources

We have tools and staff ready to support you. Answering your questions so you can care for New Mexicans.

Ask Clinical Affairs

Have questions about your clinical experiences and professional documentation? We are here to support you. We collected our frequently asked questions and answers and posted them for you.

Not finding your question? You can also contact us directly at (505) 272-4694 or

Typhon Tips & Tricks

Typhon is a tool that allows you to monitor your student's progress.

Learning a new system – even one that is designed to help you – can be intimidating. We prepared for that. Check out our Typhon Support web page for all the information you need to get started and learn to use Typhon. You will be an expert in no time!

What does the Clinical Affairs office do?

The Office of Clinical Affairs works with the DNP, MSN, and pre-licensure BSN programs to ensure all enrolled students – like you – are meeting the criteria for clinical, fieldwork, or residency requirements. We also track all rotation data and evaluations.

We make sure you are prepared.

We monitor student professional documentation. Our staff can provide you with information on how best complete your requirements. Providing any credentialing requirements required by the site. All NMDOH clearance letter fingerprint authorization requests, instructions about Typhon and myRecordTracker, and affiliation agreements with clinical sites are processed through this office.

We don’t just support our students.

We also recruit preceptors and established partnerships with clinical sites.

Supporting Our Preceptors

Our preceptors are our faculty in the commuity, caring for patients and supervising our students. Although you may not be on our campus you are part of our team. 

We provide you resources to excel. 

FAQs - Professional Documentation

A list of the required immunizations can be found online through the UNM Student Health and Counseling (SHAC) website. In addition to these requirements, the College of Nursing requires an annual TB test for its students.

All immunizations must be listed on the UNM Student Health and Counseling’s (SHAC) Immunization Form – no other documentation can be accepted. Previous or outside immunization documentation can be scanned and uploaded to the SHAC Health Portal. Please refer to our instructions on how to upload immunization documentation and how to access your SHAC Immunization Form.

Please provide flu shot documentation to the SHAC Allergy & Immunization Clinic to update your SHAC Immunization Form. Also see, “What do I turn into the CON as proof of immunizations?”

No.  The SHAC does not have access to your private myRecordTracker account.  You must upload the SHAC immunization document to your myRecordTracker account.

Access to UNM’s Learning Central is generally granted after your assigned orientation. While your HIPAA trainings (2 modules) should be automatically loaded into your account, you will need to search for the OSHA training using the keyword “bloodborne” or “infection control” if you are a current UNMH employee.

To start this process, please email a clear copy of your driver’s license, your place of birth (state only; if outside the U.S. please provide country), phone number, and your social security number to After we receive this information, a Clinical Affairs staff member will process your fingerprint authorization and provide further instructions.

If you will be completing a residency or clinical rotation in NM at any time during your program, you are required to complete the NMDOH fingerprint clearance. If you will only be completing a residency or clinical in your home state, you will want to complete that state’s fingerprint clearance.

We can accept a copy of your temporary license to process your fingerprint authorization form.

No. Any additional costs accrued from professional documentation such as immunizations, drug screenings, and background checks are the responsibility of the student.

Yes. All APRN, Nurse-Midwifery, DNP NEOL, DNP Clinical, MSN ADMIN, MSN EDU, Pre-Licensure BSN students need to be in compliance with professional documentation requirements at all times throughout the program.

FAQs - Clinical Tracking Programs

Typhon is a student tracking system for health education programs. The College of Nursing uses this program to track all clinical, fieldwork, and residency rotations as well as associated evaluations.

Typhon Support

Yes. For pre-licensure BSN students, this fee is incorporated to course fees. For graduate students, this is a one-time fee of $90. All students are able to pull reports from Typhon up to 5 years after graduation.

This program is a web-based, HIPAA compliant tracking system for immunization and certification information. All student professional documentation at the UNM College of Nursing is tracked via this system.

Yes. For pre-licensure BSN students, there is a one-time fee of $30. For graduate students, there is a one-time fee of $50. Documents are held indefinitely in the program and can be accessed after graduation for a small fee.

Clinical Affairs Contact

College of Nursing
Clinical Affairs
Building Number 228
Suite 356
1 University of New Mexico

Schedule a Virtual Appointment

(505) 272-4796