Premedical Enrichment Program (PrEP)
The Office of Academic Resources & Support (OARS) offers the Premedical Enrichment Program (PrEP), a two-semester, post-baccalaureate curriculum, to educationally disadvantaged New Mexico students who may need additional preparation for medical school.
Students who successfully complete PrEP are admitted into medical school the following year.
The program’s goals are to provide:
- A solid foundation in the sciences basic to medicine
- Enhanced critical-thinking and problem-solving abilities
- Individualized development in lifelong learning skills
- Improve verbal and written communication skills.
Criteria include, but are not limited to:
- Overall undergraduate GPA
- Undergraduate science GPA
- MCAT scores
- Variables determined by the Admissions Committee
- New Mexico residency
- Disadvantaged educational background
How to Apply to PrEP
Students must first apply to the regular MD program before applying to the PrEP program. Contact the UNM School of Medicine Office of Admissions to learn more.