Apply to Residency
Successful applicants to our program come to us from around the nation. We also interview a handful of highly qualified international medical graduates. Although applications will continue to be considered through October of each year, they will have the best chance for full consideration if submitted and complete in September.
All PGY1 and *PGY2s
Submit an ERAS application and all of the following:
- Curriculum vitae
- Personal statement addressing your interest in psychiatry and your current thoughts about career plans (1-2 pages)
- Medical Student Performance Evaluation (MSPE)
- Medical school transcript
- Three letters of reference, including a letter of reference from a U.S. psychiatrist, at least one letter of reference from a primary care specialist (internal medicine, pediatrics, family practice) addressing your competence in general medicine, and one additional letter.
- Passing scores on Step I and Step II CK & CS of the US Medical Licensure Examination (USMLE), or COMLEX equivalent. Scores must be available for both steps by the first week of February of the recruitment year for continued consideration of your application.
*PGY2 applicants not part of the ERAS system may use this form and, in addition, must include all the information requested above
Strong preference for applicants with at least one year of U.S. clinical experience.
The Psychiatry Residency Training Program and the UNM Graduate Medical Education office will only consider candidates needing visas to train on J-1 visas.