Department of Molecular Genetics & Microbiology
The University of New Mexico's School of Medicine's Department of Molecular Genetics and Microbiology in Albuquerque prides itself on outstanding research that leads to discoveries in cancer cell biology, tumor immunology, inflammation and infectious disease. Our goal is to understand basic cellular processes, disease mechanisms and novel approaches to therapy.
We strive to maintain the highest quality and impact in scientific knowledge, education and public health. One mechanism to reach this goal is to develop teams of outstanding investigators that interact in specific areas of focus.
Department of MGM Strengths
- Immunology, Inflammation, Infectious Disease and Microbiology: The department has strong expertise in the areas of innate immunity, neuroinflammation, tumor immunology, T cell immunity, autoimmunity and vaccine development.
- Cancer Biology: MGM faculty members lead active research programs investigating mechanisms of tumor development and immunology, epigenetics, infectious origins of cancer and novel therapeutic approaches.
The Department of Molecular Genetics and Microbiology is committed to delivering the best education for medical and graduate students, as well as mentorship in our laboratories for students interested in cutting-edge research in biomedical sciences. Our recent growth in immunology and inflammation greatly strengthens our primary MGM educational responsibility in leading the Immunology component of the Undergraduate Medical Education Foundations of Medical Sciences Block.
Service Highlights: Supporting Research, Education and Mentoring
All MGM faculty members strive to provide a vibrant intellectual environment for trainees and represent a strong community of scholars within the institution by providing leadership in scholarly activities and education. MGM faculty members play leadership roles in several signature programs and contribute to other activities in the Health Sciences Center and the UNM School of Medicine, including:
- UNM Comprehensive Cancer Center
- Center for Infectious Disease and Immunity
- Clinical and Translational Science Center
- Brain and Behavioral Health Institute
- Biomedical Sciences Graduate Program Steering Committee
- Medical School Admissions Committee
- BA/MD Program
- Research Allocations Committee
MGM has also developed a program to advance the careers of promising postdoctoral fellows. The Research Faculty Development program allows talented postdoctoral fellows to build their publication, teaching and funding portfolios through appointment to a research faculty position.