Oncology PGY2 Residency
Apply for Residency in Oncology
Apply online using PhORCAS (Pharmacy Online Residency Centralized Application Service). You'll need to submit:
- Letter of intent describing your interests and goals
- Curriculum vitae
- College of pharmacy transcripts
- Three letters of recommendations from health care professionals who can speak to your practice abilities
After we review your application, you may receive an invitation for an on-site interview. This interview is required for admission.
Build on your Doctor of Pharmacy (PharmD) education with the PGY2 oncology residency program at the University of New Mexico Health Sciences Center in Albuquerque.
Feel confident knowing our program is accredited by the American Society of Health-System Pharmacists.
Contribute to Cancer Care
Get the opportunity to function as an independent practitioner while using your knowledge and experience to provide patient care and enhanced medication therapy. You'll develop the skills you need to be a clinical pharmacist in advanced or specialized practice or qualify for a faculty position.
When you successfully complete the PGY2 oncology residency, you'll be able to participate on an interdisciplinary team with responsibility for cancer patient pharmaceutical care. You also may qualify for board certification in your area of practice.
PGY2 Oncology Residency Rotations
Gain exposure to a wide range of clinical practice areas, including University of New Mexico Hospital, through longitudinal, elective and four-week required rotations.
- Inpatient hematology/oncology
- Outpatient hematology
- Stem cell transplant
- Outpatient oncology clinic rotations:
- Breast cancer
- Gynecological cancers
- Gastrointestinal cancers
- Genitourinary cancers
- Lung, head and neck cancers
- Research (research project with a publication-ready manuscript)
- Infusion pharmacy staffing
- Investigational drug service
- Community outreach for cancer prevention
- Specialty outpatient pharmacy staffing
- Antibiotic stewardship
- Pediatric hematology oncology
- Staffing one weekend a month on the hospital's hematology/oncology unit
- Volunteer faculty appointment in the University of New Mexico College of Pharmacy for didactic lectures and student precepting
- Physical assessment certificate program
- Resident retreats
PGY2 Oncology Residency Benefits
As a PGY2 pharmacy resident, you'll receive:
- A salary of approximately $46,342
- Nine paid holidays and 10 paid vacation days
- Medical, dental and vision insurance
- Registration and travel to attend ASHP midyear clinical meeting and the Hematology/Oncology Pharmacy Association Annual Meeting
Live in New Mexico
Enjoy living in the warm Southwest, where it's sunny more than 300 days each year. You'll find ample opportunities for outdoor recreation, a thriving arts community and delicious local cuisine.
You're eligible to apply for the PGY2 oncology pharmacy residency if you:
- Hold a doctor of pharmacy (PharmD) degree from an accredited school or college of pharmacy
- Are eligible for New Mexico pharmacist licensure
- Completed a PGY1 residency
Contact Us For more information, contact:
Lisa Anselmo, PharmD, BCOP PGY2
Oncology Pharmacy Residency Program Director
UNM Hospitals Pharmacy Department