Your children deserve to achieve the healthiest possible growth and development. If abnormal genes or other biological factors impact your child's abilities, turn to UNM Health System's specialists for guidance and treatment.
Genetic Conditions We Treat
Our team of doctors, genetic counselors and other professionals will evaluate your child and review his or her health history to diagnose and treat conditions such as:
- Down syndrome – Presence of an extra chromosome resulting in intellectual and developmental delays.
- Chromosomal disorders – Alteration in structure or numbers of chromosomes resulting in medical issues.
- Dysmorphic features – Abnormal facial or body structures.
- Hearing or vision loss.
- Intellectual disabilities.
- Metabolic disorders – Genetic disorders of the many biochemical pathways present in the body.
Evaluating Your Child
If you're concerned your child may have a genetic disorder, a genetic evaluation may provide an answer. Correctly diagnosing your child's condition is the first step to helping him or her on the developmental journey.
If your child receives a diagnosis of a genetic condition, your family gains access to:
- Counseling, education and support
- Recommendations for managing the condition
- Referrals to medical specialists
- Referrals to medical, financial and mental health resources in the community
Early Childhood Evaluation Program
Developmental delays or behavioral issues are worth evaluating. If your child with symptoms is under the age of 3, contact the Early Childhood Evaluation Program at the Center for Development and Disability. You'll work with a compassionate team that's available statewide to assess your child and discuss results and recommendations with you.
Make an Appointment
To request an appointment with a UNM Health System genetics provider, call 505-272-6631, or 505-272-4244 for care of metabolic conditions. Ask your pediatrician for a referral before you call. Records and an authorization may be necessary.
UNM Health offers outreach clinics in cooperation with Children's Medical Services and Indian Health Service at the following sites:
- Las Cruces
- Las Vegas
- Santa Fe
- Silver City