Clinical Neurosciences Center
900 Camino de Salud
Albuquerque, NM 87131
Hours: Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Phone: 505-272-iUNM (4866)
Case Management Services
Find advanced care for your child's brain, spine and nerves at UNM Health System – home to New Mexico's only pediatric neurologists and neurosurgeons.
Conditions We Treat
Turn to us when your child needs a diagnosis or treatment for neurological conditions such as:
- Abnormal clusters of blood vessels in the brain
- Brain tumors
- Brain injury
- Cerebral palsy
- Developmental delays
- Epilepsy and seizures
- Genetic conditions
- Multiple sclerosis
- Spina bifida
- Tourette syndrome
Treatments & Services
Our care team helps your child get all the services he or she needs:
- Diagnostic tests use imaging or measurements of electrical signals in nerves or the brain to determine the source of a problem.
- Genetic testing helps identify conditions a child is born with, such as Huntingtons disease or muscular dystrophy.
- Deep brain stimulation sends electrical impulses to part of the brain to reduce abnormal movements.
- Ketogenic diet treats epilepsy through a medically supervised high-fat, low-carb regimen.
- Medications help control your child's symptoms.
- Neurosurgery is provided by experts such as a fellowship-trained pediatric neurosurgeon.
- Rehabilitation and therapy make it easier to move, communicate and complete everyday tasks.
- Vagal nerve stimulation sends electrical impulses to the vagus nerve to help relieve epilepsy.
Your child also may benefit from a neuropsychological assessment to help identify treatments or strategies that could improve behavior and learning.
All potential patients must be referred by their primary care physician or other medical specialist in order to access our services. Your child's physician must download and complete the child referral form [PDF] and fax it, along with your medical records and insurance information, to our office at 505-272-8316.
Children's Psychiatric Center
UNM Health's Children's Psychiatric Center provides intensive psychiatric treatment to children and adolescents through the age of 17. Acute inpatient care is provided at UNM Children's Psychiatric Hospital, and includes family education to increase parents' and siblings' understanding and ability to manage their children. Because every child and family is unique, special care is taken to individualize and refine treatments based on psychiatric assessment, medication evaluation and treatment.
An integral part of treatment is the development of a strong working relationship with the patient's home community, which can be accomplished with thoughtful discharge planning. In addition to the family, we work with community agencies and schools to facilitate a child's successful return to family and community, while enhancing continuity of patient care.
Programs for Children and Adolescents is the outpatient program at CPC and provides the following services to children and adolescents in the Albuquerque metropolitan area, with emotional or behavioral health disorders:
- Mental health diagnostic evaluations
- Individual therapy
- Family therapy
- Group therapy
- Multi-systemic therapy (MST)
- Community family team therapy (CFT)
- School-based therapy
- Medication assessment and management through the Cimarron Clinic
- Comprehensive Community Support Services, CCSS (formerly case management)
- Short Term Crisis Stabilization Therapy (ACCESS/Bridges Clinic)
- Short Term follow up Support and Transition Planning after discharge from CPH (ACCESS/Parachute Plan)
Children's Psychiatric Centers clinical services, under the direction of the UNM School of Medicine faculty, include comprehensive evaluation and assessment, treatment planning, individual, group and family therapy, psychopharmacology, speech, art and recreational therapy. Children, their families and CPC work together to design a treatment program specific to the child's strengths and needs.
UNM Health System's Children's Psychiatric Center is an Academic Medical Center providing quality psychiatric treatment to seriously emotionally disturbed children. We are the only such facility in New Mexico. Moreover, we are inextricably linked to the many and varied resources of the UNM Hospitals System. Please come to us any questions you have. We're here to help.