PharmD - Apply
Take the first step toward an outstanding pharmacy education. Apply online to the PharmD program at the UNM College of Pharmacy.
Rewards of a Pharmacy Career
Learn about the benefits of getting your Doctor of Pharmacy degree at the University of New Mexico College of Pharmacy in Albuquerque.
Is Pharmacy Right for Me?
You may decide to get a pharmacy degree to:
- Pursue your interests in health care and science.
- Help people lead healthy and happy lives.
- Work in an exciting and growing field.
- Enjoy job security and a financially rewarding career.
The number of pharmacists needed in the U.S. is expected to grow 14 percent by 2022, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics.
Types of Jobs for Pharmacists
Your degree can prepare you for a wide variety of careers. When you think of jobs for pharmacists, you may picture working in a community pharmacy. But qualified professionals are in demand for jobs as:
- Hospital, home health care and hospice pharmacists
- Compounding pharmacists
- Nuclear pharmacists
- Professors and teachers
Where Do Pharmacists Work?
You’ll find jobs for pharmacists in fields like:
- Ambulatory care
- Community and public health services
- Managed care
- Medical communications
- Pharmacy administration and benefits management
Your degree can also prepare you for a career at a government agency, such as the Food and Drug Administration, National Institutes of Health or Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
How to Become a Pharmacist
A good pharmacist has critical-thinking and problem-solving skills, empathy and a passion for making a difference. You can build these skills and more at the UNM College of Pharmacy with hands-on training and opportunities. Get experience:
- Giving vaccinations and health screenings
- Improving medication adherence and safety
- Optimizing drug therapies
- Providing health education
- Collaborating with other types of health care professionals
- Working with patients of all ages
Nationally Recognized Program
Join a student body that’s earned recognition from the American Pharmacists Association Academy of Student Pharmacists (APhA-ASP).
Students at the UNM College of Pharmacy have earned these recognitions from the APhA-ASP: